Asian Chicken Noodle Salad
Don't feel locked into adding the chicken to this noodle salad. It's loaded with veggies and makes a great side salad to serve with any grilled meat.
Recipe type: Entree Salad
- ½ cup distilled vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 fresh long red chilies (serrano or fresno), stemmed and minced (about a ¼ cup)
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced (reserve fronds for garnish)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 ounces rice noodles
- 4 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil, more to taste
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Prepare medium-high grill (400 degrees)
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, chilies, and 1½ teaspoons of salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the carrots and fennel to the bowl, toss and set aside.
- Pat the chicken dry, season generously with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once until cooked through (about 10 minutes). Transfer to a cutting board and let rest.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the noodles per package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Transfer noodles to the large bowl with the carrots and fennel. Add cabbage and sesame oil, toss well, and adjust seasoning with more sesame oil if desired.
- Slice the chicken, arrange on top of noodles. Garnish with fennel fronds and serve.
I often have extra peanut sauce on hand and will stir a little of that in to these noodles which adds a nice savory note. Adding chopped peanuts is also a nice touch for a crunchy element.