Asparagus Pea Shoot Salad with Pistachios and Soft Cooked Eggs
A bright lemon vinaigrette dresses this unique salad. A great addition to a brunch or dinner or would make a great lunch entree salad.
Recipe type: Salad
- For the Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar, or more to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil (feel free to adjust your oil to lemon juice ratio to your taste. I prefer my vinaigrette on the acidic side.)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the Salad
- 2 pounds asparagus, cut on the diagonal
- 4 large eggs, soft cooked
- 4 ounces of pea shoots (arugula is an acceptable substitution)
- ½ cup roasted, salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Flaky sea salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette and set aside.
- Prepare the asparagus. Snap off the woody ends and discard. Cut off the tips and set aside. Thinly slice the spears on the diagonal.
- Bring 3 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus tips and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove the tips with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a colander, rinse in cold water to cool quickly. Transfer tips to a paper towel to dry. Repeat the process with the sliced spears, this will take about 1 minute cooking time.
- Using the same water, boil the eggs for 6 minutes.
- While eggs are cooking, prepare an ice water bath. When eggs are done cooking, using a slotted spoon transfer immediately to the ice water bath. Cool eggs completely, peel and slice in half.
- In a large bowl, lightly dress the asparagus and pea shoot. You may not use all the vinaigrette. Season taste with salt and pepper.
- Top the salad with the egg and pistachios. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
Don't limit yourself to pea shoots in this salad. Arugula is an acceptable substitution.