Basil Crème Fraîche Ice Cream
Made with crème fraîche, this ice cream has a tangy richness that pairs nicely with fruit desserts.
Recipe type: Sweets
Serves: About 1 pint
- 1 cup of basil leaves, cleaned and dried, packed (about 2 ounces)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups crème fraîche
- a pinch of salt
- Add the sugar and the basil leaves to food processor and pulverize until basil and sugar are evenly incorporated.
- Add the sugar-basil mixture to the heavy cream and stir to dissolve the sugar. If the sugar doesn't dissolve sufficiently you may need to pour the mixture into a sauce pan and heat on a very low temperature for a short period of time.
- Pour the heavy cream/basil mixture into a mixing bowl and old the crème fraîche into the cream mixture.
- Transfer mixture to a freezer container. Cover and freeze for 4 hours. Stirring once at about 2 hours. This will ensure consistent freezer.
- Temper ice cream to allow for proper scoop-ability and serve!
No ice cream maker required!